Ten years! Ten years ago this fall we began our work on behalf of people with brain injuries
and their families. Through these years our efforts have resulted in:
Establishment of Brain Injury Services of SWVA which now provides free case management and other services to more than 300 families in Southwest Virginia annually
- A ripple effect of new offerings, such as the SWVA Invitational Golf Challenge and Adaptive Golf Programs, annual “Transcending Brain Injury” Conference for SWVA, New River Valley Brain Injury Support Group, Creative Therapeutic Expressions Class, the personal development and team building Ropes Course, and Adaptive Fishing,to name a few
- Lakeview Neurorehabilitation Centers bringing the first neurobehavioral treatment services to our region through their new facility in Blacksburg
- Educational programs begun at George Washington University, Radford University, and Longwood University
- More than $223,000 in financial support awarded to families in need.
- More than $611,000 in grants to establish and support services and programs
- Annual mailings of informational packets on prevention and identification of sports related concussion to middle and high schools in Southwest Virginia
- Heightened awareness among our state and local government officials and in the general public of the long-term and life time challenges caused by the complex disability of brain injury.
This year we continued involvement with many of these initiatives, while also remaining a supportive resource for families. We also participated on a sub-committee in the development of a Position Paper of the Virginia Brain Injury Council on ‘Neurobehavioral Treatment Needs for Persons with Acquired Brain Injuries in Virginia’. The paper was reviewed by Virginia’s
Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission, as well as by the Governor’s Special Assistant on Policy.
We feel blessed with the support we have received which helped make this all happen, and are grateful for the part you play. We ask that you keep us in your thoughts and prayers, and share our news with those who may need us, and those who may wish to support us. Let them know that their gifts are tax deductible, and most sincerely appreciated.
May blessings continue
in your lives!
Fran Rooker, President